It’s approaching the time of year again to prepare for the New York City Department of Environmental Protection (NYC DEP) Community Right To Know (RTK) filing. The NYC RTK Program requires businesses that handle, store, or use substances that could impact public health or the environment, to submit their chemical inventory information to the NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) annually.

How do you know if your facility needs to submit Community Right to Know paperwork?

Do you handle, store or use any of these reportable chemicals?

  • Motor Oil, Brake Fluid, Antifreeze
  • Paints, Paint Thinners, Lacquers, Dyes
  • Cleaning Supplies, Bleach, Wax, Solvents, Detergents
  • Aerosols, Air Fresheners, Disinfectants, Insect Repellants
  • Lubricants, Grease, Degreasers
  • Batteries, Fertilizers, Preservatives
  • Compressed Gas Cylinders


Some businesses that typically deal with hazardous substances include:

  • Industrial or Manufacturing Facilities
  • Dry Cleaners
  • Hotels, Nursing Homes, and Commercial Hospitality Businesses
  • Car Dealerships, Service Stations, and Auto Body Shops
  • Funeral Homes
  • Bulk Supply Stores
  • Research Laboratories


Applicable facilities are required to provide documentation on reportable quantities of hazardous substances each year to the DEP by March 1st, for the previous year’s chemical inventory, or risk receiving a fine. First time Right-to-Know violations may result in fines up to $2,500.

Walden can help you with every step of the RTK process including:

  • Inventory all hazardous substances at your facility
  • Compile associated Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
  • Identify reportable chemical ingredients
  • Calculate the weights of hazardous components of on-site substances to determine which chemicals meet the NYC DEP reporting thresholds.
  • Complete all NYS DEC forms (paper or online Tier Two Filing).
  • Finished inventory packages for submittal to NYC DEP, New York State Emergency Response Commission & Fire Department of New York (FDNY).
  • Handle any follow-up questions that you (or the NYCDEP) might have.


If you have any questions regarding your chemical inventory, DEP compliance, or RTK Tier II filing, check out our Right to Know Webpage and contact Walden Environmental Engineering at 516-624-7200.