Guide to the NYC Local Law 133 Energy Benchmarking:

What is Local Law 133?

It is a benchmarking regulation. New York City requires that any building 25,000 square feet or larger must submit their building’s energy consumption data annually. If you are not sure if you must comply, you can check the NYC Covered Buildings List for the facilities that must comply. Additionally, the list will inform you if you must submit the water consumption data (see yellow box on image below), some facilities are exempt from submitting this information.  (

How do I comply?

The annual energy and water data must be submitted annually prior to May 1st of the following year. For example, the 2018 energy data must be recorded no later than May 1, 2019. The information must be submitted on the City’s ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. This is an online system that saves your data input annually, and creates a report that you must submit to the City before that May 1st deadline.

What are the steps I need to take?

  1. Check the Covered Building’s List to see if you must comply
  2. Set up an ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager
  3. Create and enter building property characteristics and uses
  4. Collect the entire building’s energy data (and water if required)
  5. Record the energy data into the Portfolio Manager
  6. Confirm the BBL and BIN information on your building
  7. Check for completeness and errors if any
  8. Submit to the City!

If you fail to submit the necessary information on time, you can be subject up to a $2,000 fine.

Walden Environmental Engineering is proficient in ensuring our clients submit their benchmarking data completely and on time to avoid fines. If you are having any issues with Benchmarking or want the burden taken off your shoulders, call Walden. We would be happy to help.

(516) 624-7200 (NYC – Long Island)
(845) 745-0888 (Hudson Valley Area)
(518) 698-3012 (Capital District Area)