NYSDEC Renews Multi-Sector General Permits for Stormwater Discharges Associated with Industrial Activity
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) has renewed the State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES), Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) for Stormwater Discharges. The new permit (#GP-0-23-001) is effective for five years and began on March 8, 2023. The new permit will replace #GP-0-17-004, which expired on February 28, 2023. Sites that are covered under #GP-0-17-004 must file updated Notices of Intent (NOI) within 120 days of the new permit’s effective date to maintain compliance.
Notable changes between permit #GP-0-17-004 and #GP-0-23-001 include:
- New technological and water quality-based requirements.
- The technological-based requirements are a minimum level of treatment for industrial point sources. These are based on what is currently available in treatment technologies and best management practices (BMPs).
- Water quality-based requirements apply if after technological-based requirements there are still reasonable infringements upon water quality standards in the receiving water bodies. These water quality-based requirements are based upon the Clean Water Act (CWA); New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (NYCRR); Code of Federal Regulations (CFR); and Emergency Credential Levels (ECL).
- Climate-related risks are also addressed in the new permit. Facilities that are identified as “vulnerable” to significant climate-related risks will be prompted to comply and to mitigate for these risks and implement enhanced stormwater control measures for their facilities. These changes can be accomplished through BMPs or design considerations. These changes must demonstrate consideration for future physical impacts from climate risk.
- Facilities that implement these changes will also need to update their Stormwater Pollution and Prevention Plans (SWPPP).
Any new corrective actions implemented at a facility will also trigger the need to have a quarterly visual monitoring inspection performed during the next qualifying storm event.
Walden can help your facility obtain and maintain coverage under the MSGP and ensure compliance with a SWPPP. Please give us a call at 516-559-6976 to speak with one of our stormwater experts.