NYSDEC Annual Hazardous Waste Report: What Wastes to Include

by | Feb 20, 2024

If you own or operate a hazardous waste facility, the March 1 deadline for submitting an Annual Hazardous Waste Report to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) is quickly approaching. Only hazardous waste recognized in the State of New York must be reported to the NYSDEC.

If you need more information on whether your facility is required to file an annual report or on what makes a facility a Large Quantity Generator (LQG), please refer to Walden’s previous blog here.


What types of wastes require annual reporting in New York?

Hazardous waste required to be reported in New York includes:

  • Federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) hazardous waste
  • Polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) waste outlined in 6 NYCRR Part 371.4(e)

An annual report should include information for the following types of wastes handled or stored in a calendar year:

  • Hazardous waste from:
    • Service activities
    • Production/manufacturing processes
    • Equipment maintenance or decommissioning activities
    • Retail locations
    • Spill cleanups or remedial activities
  • Hazardous waste generated as part of a one-time cleanup activity, which is not exempt
  • Hazardous waste shipped to or received from a foreign country (i.e., exported or imported), with a select list of foreign EPA ID numbers available in the Foreign Site Identification Number List on EPA’s RCRA website
  • All hazardous wastewaters, including those treated in a totally enclosed wastewater treatment unit or elementary neutralization unit. Before reporting wastewater treatment, ensure that the wastewater is deemed hazardous


What wastes do not have to be reported?

Non-hazardous waste or waste that is only hazardous in another state should not be included in your required Annual Hazardous Waste Report to the NYSDEC. Shipping waste to another state on a hazardous waste manifest form does not automatically classify the waste as hazardous in New York State.

Walden’s engineers are experienced with completing Annual Hazardous Waste Reports. Please contact Walden at 516-758-1273 to speak with an engineer who can help you complete all necessary forms for your report and ensure that your facility remains in compliance with NYSDEC.

hazardous waste, chemicals, compliance, regulatory compliance, RCRA, hazard, disposal, reporting

Stay compliant with the NYSDEC’s hazardous waste reporting requirements – contact Walden at 516-758-1273 for help completing your annual hazardous waste reports by the March 1 deadline.