New York City Department of Environmental Protection Engine Registration

Food Trucks and Carts Now Need DEP Registration

The New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has recently adopted a new regulation (Chapter 50 of Title 15 of the Rules of the City of New York) for engines on mobile food vending units. This new regulation will take effect on February 15th 2018. The new regulation applies to all engines, regardless of the size (horsepower), operating on mobile vending units and it mandates registration of the engine with the DEP as per Section 24-109(a) of the Administrative Code of the City of New York.


Other Equipment That Require DEP Registration


Section 24-109 of the NYC Administrative Code requires a DEP Registration also for other various equipment, including:

  1. generators (emergency and stationary – see our previous article for more information)
  2. portable and stationary engines (below 600 hp),
  3. boilers,
  4. water heaters,
  5. any gasoline dispensing station.


In Some Cases, A DEP Permit Is Necessary

All this equipment might require a DEP Permit, a more extensive application than a DEP Registration, depending on the input/output peculiar to that specific category.

Air Permitting Services

Walden Environmental Engineering provides a variety of services related to air permitting with Federal, State and Local regulations. Walden can assist you on filing applications to obtain any DEP registration (or permit) and achieve compliance with all requirements adopted by the DEP regulations.

Talk To The Experts

Call us at 516-624-7200, (518) 698-3012, or (845) 745-0888 for a free consultation to discuss any air permitting issue or any of the other environmental engineering services we provide.