Don’t Miss the Annual Hazardous Waste Reporting Deadline!
The deadline for submitting Annual Hazardous Waste Reports is Wednesday, March 1. If you are a Large Quantity Generator (LQG) who treats, stores, manufactures, or disposes of hazardous waste or wastewater, you are required to submit a report to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) for each calendar year.
Annual reports are required from facilities that meet any of the requirements below:
- Facilities that are LQGs in any singular calendar month. These are facilities that generated 1,000 kg (2,200 lbs) or more of hazardous waste; or accumulated at any time more than 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of acute hazardous waste; or generated more than 100 kg (220 lbs) of spill clean-up material contaminated with acute hazardous waste.
- Facilities that treated, stored, or disposed of hazardous waste on-site during the previous calendar year.
- Facilities that generated 15 tons or greater of hazardous waste or hazardous wastewater. Only universal waste is exempt from this requirement. No other exemptions or exclusions to annual hazardous waste reporting can be applied when calculating this tonnage.
What to include in your report:
- Hazardous waste from production/manufacturing processes, service activities, equipment maintenance or decommissioning activities, retail locations, spill cleanups, or remedial activities.
- Hazardous waste being generated as part of a one-time cleanup activity.
- Hazardous waste shipped to or received from a foreign country.
- All hazardous wastewaters, including wastewater treated in a totally enclosed wastewater treatment unit or elementary neutralization unit. Be certain that the wastewater is considered hazardous before entering your treatment process.
Waste that is considered non-hazardous does not need to be included in your report. A report must be filed for each facility/location where hazardous waste is stored, generated, and/or processed or treated.
As of January of 2021, the vendor that had supported electronic submission of the annual hazardous waste reports for the DEC has ceased operations. The DEC is transitioning to the US Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) RCRAInfo system for electronic submissions of the hazardous waste annual reports. Facilities located in New York State who wish to submit their annual reports online will need to use the Annual and Biennial Report modules in RCRAInfo. The Annual Report module should be used for reporting in even numbered years and the Biennial Report module should be used for reporting in odd numbered years. The DEC states to NOT use the Internet Explorer web browser when using RCRAInfo.
Walden’s waste management engineers can help you file your hazardous waste reports on time and ensure that your facility remains in compliance with all DEC reporting requirements. If you need help navigating the hazardous waste reporting process, give Walden a call at 516-588-6859 to talk with one of our experienced staff today!