December 1 Reporting Deadline for NYS Advanced Clean Trucks Rule – Have You Filed?
In late 2021, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) issued the Advanced Clean Trucks (ACT) rule. Under this rule, manufacturers will be required to transition to the production of zero-emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicles. The ACT rule is an important step in helping New York achieve its ambitious greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals laid out in the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) of 2019.
As part of the ACT rule, certain medium- and heavy-duty vehicle owners will be required to report specified metrics to the State by December 1, 2023. The initial April 1, 2023 deadline was pushed back but now the new deadline is fast approaching.
Who must report?
Several kinds of entities must submit reports if they run a facility located in New York State. The following are subject to reporting requirements:
- Federal, State, and local government agencies and municipalities with at least one vehicle
- Entities with at least one vehicle that made over $50 million in gross annual revenue in the 2019 tax year
- Fleet owners with at least 50 vehicles
- Brokers that dispatched at least 50 vehicles
What information must be reported by December 1?
New York is collecting data on vehicles that weigh over 8,500 pounds. The person compiling the report needs to send the State:
- General information about the entity
- Information about the home base
- Information about the vehicle specifications
- Vehicle identification numbers
Who/what is exempt from reporting?
The following are exempt from reporting requirements:
- Entities with fleets made up of mostly school buses, including schools and school districts
- Military tactical facilities and vehicles
- Vehicles that are ready to be sold
- Emergency vehicles
- Rental vehicles
How do you report?
If you are subject to these reporting requirements, the reporting template document provided by the DEC must be filled out. The DEC also provides a guidance document that offers additional information about the ACT rule and assistance with completing the reporting form. You can access both of these forms on the DEC website here.
Completed reports must be submitted to the following email address: ACT.email@example.com. The subject line should read “Reporting form – [fleet name].”
The ACT rule is intended to help New York State achieve 100% zero-emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicle sales by the year 2045. If you want to read more about the State’s climate plan, see Walden’s recent CLCPA-related blogs here and here, or visit our green energy and sustainability page.
The December 1 reporting deadline is an important first step in monitoring the conversion of fleets to electric vehicles. If you need help completing the filing to meet this deadline or would like to discuss how the ACT rule will affect your operations, contact Walden at 516-518-3705.