It just keeps getting tougher to make a profit. Or stick within the confines of your budget, if you’re a public entity. It’s a do-more-with-less world for fleet operations of every kind, and it seems like your only constant is the high price of fuel. But you can fight back, with a fleet fuel management system.
If you haven’t seriously considered a fleet fuel management system before now, it’s definitely time to do that. The longer you wait, the more you’re letting the many advantages pass you by. You’re spending more money, unnecessarily — wasting fuel or just wondering where it went.
What is it?
A fleet fuel management system is a technology-based interface that enables you to capture data from your vehicles in real time, during every fueling event. It automates tedious, time-wasting tasks so you can be more productive. And you can use the information you collect in an amazing number of ways to improve work processes and save money.
This technology has been successfully implemented by all sizes and types of fleet and fueling operations, private and government.
Perhaps a little self-assessment is in order. Consider the following ways a fuel management system could help improve your life, then ask yourself one simple question: do we need any of that? If you answer yes – and you probably will – it’s time to consider an upgrade.
- Security. Does your fuel seem to disappear? You can track every drop from the time it’s delivered until it’s dispensed, and ensure it’s not used for anything other than the intended purpose.
- Record keeping. Are your records spotty or just plain wrong? Automatic data capture eliminates human error and forgetfulness. You get complete, guaranteed-accurate information, in real time. You can track run and idle times and indications of other wasteful vehicle usage such as PTO and harsh braking, all of which waste fuel and shorten fleet life.
You can use that feedback to initiate efficiencies such as more fuel-conscious driver habits and streamlined route planning. Billing will be faster and accurate, so you know nothing is slipping between the cracks and your customers, if you have them, will get the information they need, too.
Regulatory compliance is assured, and information needed for reporting is right at your fingertips.
- Maintenance and repairs. A fuel management system ensures you meet your regular maintenance schedules, minimizing fuel consumption with a well-tuned fleet. You will be alerted to impending anomalies, so you can respond right away, minimizing repair costs and down time.
- Decision-making. The more information you have at hand, and the more timely it is, the better decisions you’re able to make. That’s true for daily operations and it’s also true for forecasting, budgeting and long term planning.
- Productivity. Drivers, office staff and you can focus on things more important than manual paperwork, and everyone can get more done in less time.
Of course every operation is a bit different, so exactly how a fuel management system can most meaningfully benefit you will depend on your number and type of vehicles, number of fueling locations, whether or not you serve external customers, and so on.
The benefits go straight to your bottom line.
Unless you’ve got it all under control, an automated fleet fuel management system can help you save money by tracking fuel and associated costs every step of the way. With greater accountability, you can fully protect your assets, both fuel and fleet. You can, in fact, do more with less. Believe it or not, you can also improve your muncipality bond rating by implementing a fleet fuel management system.
The sooner you investigate what a fleet fuel management system can do for your operation, the better, because it can start paying for itself right away. It’s never too soon to enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing you can be more competitive and the confidence you get from knowing you really are doing everything possible to control and manage your fuel.
Want more information? Contact Walden at 516-758-1273, or read more about how a fleet fuel management system improves vehicle maintenance.