This blog regarding New York City Sanitation Department’s (DSNY) commercial waste zoning rules is a follow up to Walden’s previous blog “DSNY Commercial Waste Zone Part 1 RFP due February 19, 2021”.
DSNY released a notice of public hearing and an opportunity to comment on proposed rules. The date for the hearing is January 26, 2021, via Webex at 9:30 am. Comments on the proposed rules may be submitted via the website, email, mail, fax, or by speaking at the hearing (those interested must sign up by January 25, 2021).
Statement of Basis and Purpose of Proposed Rule
DSNY is proposing the rule to set up and regulate commercial waste zones throughout NYC to improve the quality of life for residents, as the current commercial waste collection system has caused pollution, traffic hazards, and traffic deaths over the years. The proposed rules will include provisions addressing:
- Customer service requirements;
- Requirements for collecting recyclable materials and source-separated organics;
- Operational requirements for carters, among other items.
DSNY inviting comments on the following topics:
- Fees allowed to be charged in § 20-21(c)(2);
- Process for rate adjustments in § 20-21(d);
- Minimum services levels in § 20-22(a)(2);
- Reasons for non-collection in § 20-23(a);
- Customer service plan minimum requirements in § 20-25(b); and
- Delivery of organic waste for other uses described in § 20-32(d).
Participation in the virtual hearing will allow all shareholders to become educated on the new rules and how they will affect current business practices.
The bidding process for a new Commercial Waste Zone contract has two parts. Part 1, as noted in Walden’s blog “DSNY Commercial Waste Zone Part 1 RFP due February 19, 2021”, is to collect information from potential bidders. The submission for Part 1 of the RFP is due February 19, 2021.
Part 2 of the process will require bidders to identify their means and methods of collecting and disposing of waste, various compliance plans, and pricing. The bid due date for Part 2 will be set at a later date. Part 2 of the RFP will request a submission that complies fully with the requirements of Local Law 199 (LL199) and the rules of the city of New York. Part 2 of the RFP will include additional information added by addenda, including, but not limited to, templates for various plans required by LL199 and a sample contract between the awardee and DSNY.
For consultation regarding the hearing, proposed rules, and how this may affect your business operations, please reach out to one of Walden’s DSNY experts. To partner or retain Walden to complete Part 1 and/or Part 2 of the RFP please contact us at 516-586-0591.
“DSNY Commercial Waste Zone Part 1 RFP due February 19, 2021” – https://waldenenvironmentalengineering.comdsny-commercial-waste-zone-part-1-rfp-due-february-19-2021/
To participate in the public hearing:
- Enter the Webex URL: https://departmentofsanitationnewyork.my.webex.com/departmentofsanitationnewyork.my/j.php?MTID=m29a4a57cd0ce7d5bcd4be7a6d28c3375
- Meeting number: 132 125 9401
- Password: CWZ2021 (2992021 from phones and video systems)
- Join by video system: Dial firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also dial 188.8.131.52 and enter your meeting number.
- Join by phone: +1-408-418-9388 United States Toll
- Access code: 132 125 9401
- Website, https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/
- Email, email@example.com
- Mail, mail to DSNY, 125 Worth Street, Room 710, New York, NY 10013.
- Fax, 212-788-3876
Thank you and stay safe. Contact Walden Environmental Engineering for more information.