SOLID WASTE ENGINEER
SOLID WASTE ENGINEER
LOCATION: Oyster Bay, NY
Since 1995, Walden Environmental Engineering, PLLC, has provided its expertise to a diverse client base on various projects involving environmental engineering, civil engineering, and consulting work. At Walden, we pride ourselves on fostering a workplace where individuals can collaborate, learn, and grow professionally. Our project portfolio allows our team members to use their experience to develop creative solutions to complex real-world problems that positively impact communities and individuals. To that end, we fully support our staff’s continuing professional development while remaining flexible enough to strike a positive work-life balance.
Walden continuously seeks experienced professionals to join our team of engineers, geologists, and scientists who want to make a difference in the world in which they live. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, Simple IRA retirement savings plan with matching contributions, profit sharing bonus plan, tuition reimbursement, and excellent professional development opportunities.
Description: Walden is seeking an experienced, licensed Solid Waste Engineer who will impress us with their personality, outperform our expectations, expertly fulfill their responsibilities, and add capabilities to our team. If you think this fits you, then please read on and apply.
Minimum Degree Required: Must have a BS or MS in Environmental or Civil Engineering or a related Engineering discipline.
Minimum Years of Experience: Must have a minimum of 8 years of post-Bachelor’s Degree work experience as a consulting engineer.
Preferred Years of Experience: 12+ years of post-Bachelor’s Degree work experience.
- Performs site investigations to assess and document field conditions
- Applies superior knowledge of engineering principles and practices in solid waste areas to create designs for solid waste treatment facilities.
- Serves as the lead technical person on projects involving all facets of solid waste management.
- Performs engineering analyses, designs, and assessments, including preparation of drawings using AutoCAD, collection of samples, and creation of reports.
- Will carry out complex assignments and make decisions independently and as part of a team.
- Prepare and perform detailed reviews of engineering calculations, studies, and designs.
- Develops compliance and monitoring reports and tracks permit applications. May use that data to analyze and evaluate site conditions to ensure compliance with permitted requirements and regulations.
- Conduct and document inspections of operations, solid waste management, and perform environmental monitoring to ensure compliance with permits issued by regulatory agencies.
- Make sure that the client’s policies and procedures reflect the needs of local communities and modifies the same as required by changing conditions.
- Responds to and resolves concerns from clients and the general public.
Education and Qualifications
- Licensed NYS Professional Engineer
- Extremely knowledgeable of the NYS DEC 6NYCRR Chapter IV, Subpart B, Solid Waste Regulations, including Part 360 regulation series and Part 370 regulation series, as well as the Uniform Procedures Act and the State Environmental Quality Review Act.
- Extremely knowledgeable of the NYC Department of Sanitation Transfer Station Rules. (Knowledge of NYC Zoning, Building, and Fire Codes is a plus.)
- Has prepared and filed, as an Engineer of Record, at least one of each of the following:
- NYS DEC Solid Waste Management Facility Permit Application, including an Engineering Report, Facility Manual, and Drawings.
- NYS DEC Full Environmental Assessment Form for a Solid Waste Facility Application.
- NYC Dept of Sanitation/Business Integrity Commission Transfer Station Permit Application.
- NYC City Environmental Quality Review, including a Full Environmental Assessment Statement with a detailed review of all 19 Technical Analysis Chapters for a Solid Waste Facility Application.
- Knowledgeable of air pollution control regulations, stormwater regulations, wetlands regulations, and wastewater treatment regulations, especially as they relate to solid waste facilities.
- Has had direct interaction with the NYS DEC Solid Waste Staff in Regions 1 and 2 (and a plus for Region 3), and the NYC Department of Sanitation Permit and Inspection Unit, and the Bureau of Legal Affairs, Division of Environmental Review.
- Familiar with the solid waste industry in New York City and downstate New York and has interacted with many of the facility owners and operators.
Next step: Please submit a cover letter describing your desire to interview and work at Walden along with a resume which details your experience and knowledge base.