Established in 1995, Walden Environmental Engineering, PLLC engages in challenging environmental and civil engineering consulting work for a diverse client base. If you enjoy working in a collaborative learning environment on complex projects in a flexible atmosphere, then Walden is right for you. Our diverse projects allow our team to continue their professional development while using creativity to find solutions to complex problems and turn them into reality.
Walden fully supports our staff while they work to reach their greatest career goals. Many staff members typically obtain their professional status within 4-5 years of graduation, while our firm remains flexible enough to strike a positive work-life balance. We stress career progression during annual staff reviews, during which time each employee is encouraged to develop their professional growth plan and implement it during the year.
Walden continuously seeks experienced professionals to join our team of engineers, geologists, and scientists who want to make a difference in the world they live in. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, Simple IRA savings plan with matching contributions, profit sharing bonus plan, tuition reimbursement, and excellent career development opportunities.
Description: Walden is seeking an experienced staff engineer who will impress us with their personality, outperform our expectations, expertly fulfill their responsibilities, and add capabilities to our team. If you think this fits you, then please read on and apply.
Degree Required: Must have a BS or MS in Environmental or Civil Engineering or a related Engineering discipline.
Minimum Years of Experience: Must have a minimum of two years of post-Bachelor’s Degree work experience as a consulting engineer. The work should be increasingly difficult, show skill progression, and include various areas of expertise.
Preferred Years of Experience: 4+ years of post-Bachelor’s Degree work experience.
- Perform site investigations to assess and document field conditions
- Perform due diligence and site feasibility studies
- Produce well-structured and thought-out recommendation reports based on field inspections and observations
- Develop site designs, including site layout, grading and storm drainage, roadway, and utility infrastructure
- Develop construction design documents and specifications for a full range of environmental and civil engineering projects
- Oversee work necessary to obtain a client’s full Solid Waste Operational Permit. Navigate regulatory procedures for noise control, air permitting, storm water permitting, and construction near wetlands
- Prepare cost estimates for design projects and specifications for bid documents.
- Develop bid documents and perform bid management/analysis
- Oversee engineering design and manage construction projects
- Be knowledgeable of building, mechanical, energy, and fire codes; state and city solid waste and air pollution codes; and ASTM, ASCE, and NFPA standards.
- Respond to and address regulatory comments to obtain agency approvals
- Perform hydrology and hydraulic calculations and be knowledgeable of NYSDEC stormwater drainage requirements
- Interact with clients and provide them with clear recommendations while advising them of their responsibilities and options
- Be willing and able to assist with business development initiatives by leveraging existing client relationships to expand service offerings and identify new relationships
- Develop and enforce health and safety plans
- Must be willing to work outdoors in various weather conditions and travel to project locations
- Strong computer skills in AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel
- Knowledge of basic and organic chemistry
- Design experience with a specific focus on site and infrastructure design; remediation/treatment systems design; and industrial facility design
- Recent experience in field investigations, construction oversight, and remediation systems
- Possess strong written, verbal, and telephone communication skills, particularly the ability to produce accurate and concise field notes and well-structured recommendation reports
- OSHA 40-hr. HAZWOPER training certificate and 10-hour OSHA Construction Safety certificate a plus
- Possess a valid driver’s license, have a car, and be able to drive to various clients’ locations
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices of related technical areas and federal/ state/ local regulations and codes.
- Comprehension of relevant regulations, including NYS DEC Part 360 and New York City solid waste rules
- Knowledge of the City and State Environmental Quality Review Act (CEQRA/SEQRA)
- Knowledge of ASTM, ASCE, NFPA, and other standards
- Self-motivated and team-spirited, capable of working independently or collaborating with minimal supervision
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local petroleum & chemical bulk storage requirements
- Working knowledge of HAZCOM and other OSHA regulations
- EIT/FE strongly desired
Next step: Please submit a cover letter describing your desire to interview and work at Walden along with a resume which details your education, experience, and knowledge base.