ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH AND SAFETY SPECIALIST
The Environmental Health and Safety Division of Walden Environmental Engineering is seeking a motivated, goal-oriented self-starter to join our team as an experienced EHS Specialist. The ideal candidate will be the primary point of contact for our clients and will work independently while also being a part of a technically competent and experienced team.
The EHS Division’s team members enjoy a hybrid work environment, applying their skills at client sites or remotely from a home office. Our team members are primarily located in Connecticut with periodic travel around the New England area and occasional travel to the west coast.
If selected, the successful individual for this position will be part of a hands-on team tasked with improving client EHS compliance and management systems while utilizing a high level of critical and strategic thinking.
Walden is seeking an experienced professional with a strong technical background in all facets of safety regulations with evidence of program and training development experience. While experience with environmental compliance is beneficial, the selected candidate must have a primary focus on safety. They must communicate effectively, possesses good presentation skills, and must successfully articulate past experiences for our client’s benefit while engaged in a consulting capacity.
Our ideal candidate is experienced in manufacturing/industrial settings, preferably with companies specializing in electronics manufacturing, foundries, aerospace, military, woodworking, heavy equipment manufacturing, or similar industries. The candidate is skilled at using data and past experiences to drive effective decision-making when formulating recommendations and delivering compliance solutions.
The ability to build and sustain productive client relationships and effective engagement with the EHS team is a must. The successful candidate is adept at researching or interpreting regulations and authoring complex program documents.
Requisite Professional Attributes
- Experienced, professional, and confident demeanor.
- Expert level knowledge of 29 CFR (general industry)
- Additional Experience with 40 CFR and 49 CFR, including but not limited to Tier II, Form R, SPCC, SWPPP and Contingency Planning is a plus.
- Masterful attention to detail.
- Excels in multi-tasking.
- Exhibits the ability to flawlessly deliver effective solutions to our clients.
- Ability to work both independently and in close partnership with clients and our team.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Possesses a strong understanding of diplomacy.
- Highly skilled at technical writing used to develop site-specific EHS programs and training for our clients.
- Experience performing audits to define compliance gaps with the goal of developing strategies for improvement.
- Uses a data-driven approach incorporating root-cause analysis and corrective actions to effectively formulate recommendations while engaging site personnel to achieve these goals.
- Demonstrated ability to help clients manage sampling and recordkeeping required for various permits and create plans for machine guarding, lockout-tagout and handling of hazardous material, including hazardous wastes.
Educational and Experience Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with one of the following majors: Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Biology, Natural Resource Management, Engineering, or Business Administration with an environmental focus. A Master’s Degree is a plus.
- Proven on-the-job experience with an appropriate safety focus.
- No less than 10 years of experience in an industrial/manufacturing setting as a health and safety compliance expert.
- Experience in planning, scheduling, cost estimation, and proposal development.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and teams.
- Experience with the Google Workspace platform including Gmail, calendar, Meets, Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
- Maintain an insured and reliable vehicle combined with a clean driving record.
- Due to a client base with national security access restrictions, employees of this Division MUST be U.S. citizens without exception.
Next step: Please submit a cover letter paired with a resume detailing education, experience and knowledge base applicable to this job posting, detailing your desire to interview and work at Walden in the role described.